AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY A PIVOTAL LEADERSHIP ROLE TO INCREASE IMMUNISATION COVERAGE IN THE WORLD’S POOREST AS SENIOR COUNTRY MANAGER
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance appointed CARRHURE to help recruit a Senior Country Manager who will represent the Gavi Secretariat in dealing with governments and in-country partners.
The purpose of the role is to ensure effective management of grants, risk and relationships, support a successful country implementation and monitor its performance.
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance or Gavi is an international organisation that was created in 2000 to improve access
to new and underused vaccines for children living in the world’s poorest countries. Based in Geneva, Switzerland, Gavi brings together public and private sectors with the shared goal of creating equal access to vaccines for children, wherever they live.
Senior Country Manager
Senior Country Managers work at the forefront of GAVI’s collaboration with governments and partners; enabling them to reach 440 million children since its creation and saving 6 million lives in the process. The hands-on work of Gavi’s Senior Country Managers is fast-paced, demanding and rewarding. Together with governments and partners, they enable the introduction of new and effective vaccines in many places that previously did not have access to them. They work towards the global eradication of polio and the deployment of cutting-edge cervical cancer-preventing vaccines. They may also contribute, once these become available, to the roll-out of an Ebola vaccine and the introduction of long-awaited vaccines against malaria and dengue fever.
Senior Country Managers focus on several countries within their assigned geographical region, and divide their time between Gavi’s Geneva headquarters and field visits. They ensure countries deploy Gavi’s vaccine and cash support effectively and transparently. They manage risks and help solve problems that hold back programme implementation and monitor the performance of Gavi-funded programmes.
To this effect, Senior Country Managers build and manage relationships with a wide range of representatives from governments, United Nations and donor agencies, and NGOs. Chief among these are Gavi’s alliance partners, which include the World Health Organisation, UNICEF, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Bank. Senior Country Managers are also supported in their work by colleagues from various teams within the Gavi Secretariat.
We are looking for global health professionals with a strong experience working in or with developing countries on technical issues, significant grant-, project- and/or programme management and preferable experience in bilateral and multilateral aid environments. The ideal candidate will have most, if not all of the following experience, skills, knowledge, and personal characteristics:
Education and Experience
- Advanced university degree in public health, health economics, development, business administration (with experience in international development) or related field, or other relevant qualification.
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience working in public health or international development; experience in immunisation programmes or health systems is an asset.
Skills and other qualifications
- Health or international development technical skills; current knowledge of immunisation or health development issues is an asset
- Advanced project management skills demonstrated with complex (e.g., multi-sectorial, multistakeholder)
- Financial management skills, including knowledge of project financing and financial processes. Has the ability to prepare, justify, manage budgets and monitor expenditures
- Analysis, problem-solving, prioritisation, planning and risk-management skills
- Interpersonal, teamwork and capacity-building skills
- Oral communication, writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work successfully in an international, multi-cultural, multi-partner environment with significant travel
- Written and spoken fluency in English is essential. Written and spoken fluency in French is essential for some positions. A good knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
- Sound judgment
- Strategic facilitation, negotiation and political acumen
- Representation, advocacy, diplomacy, tact and discretion
- Drive, proactiveness, action and results orientation
- Continuous improvement
Note: The essential functions above are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities. Other duties may be
assigned consistently within the department’s needs. Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and
encourages applications from all qualified candidates.