AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO IMPROVE IMMUNISATION OUTCOMES IN THE
WORLD’S POOREST AS A SENIOR SPECIALIST, HEALTH SYSTEMS AND
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance has appointed CARRHURE to help recruit a Senior Country Manager who will represent the Gavi Secretariat in dealing with governments and in-country partners.
The purpose of the role is to support the management of Gavi’s health system strengthening grants in order to improve immunisation outcomes, as reflected in the sustainable improvements in coverage and equity.
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance or Gavi is an international organisation that was created in 2000 to improve access to new and underused vaccines for children living in the world’s poorest countries. Based in Geneva, Switzerland, Gavi rings together public and private sectors with the shared goal of creating equal access to vaccines for children, wherever they live.
Senior Specialist, HSIS
The Senior Specialist for Health Systems and Immunisation Strengthening (HSIS) will manage the Secretariat’s HSS team and the implementation of the HSS agenda under Strategic Goal 2 of Gavi’s 2011-2015 Strategic Plan and thereafter under the Gavi strategy for 2016-2020 under the direction of the Director of Health Systems and Immunisation Strengthening (HSIS). The successful candidate will support grant managers to improve development, implementation throughout their life-cycles, and oversight of grants to countries, including assisting to address bottlenecks to HSS grant implementation, in coordination with Gavi’s Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, Programme Finance. He or she will also coordinate the development of papers on HSS and its direct financial support to countries (analytical, conceptual, opportunities for innovations, Governance papers and reports, briefs, memos, etc.) – in doing so the incumbent will maintain close consultations with other parts of the Secretariat and its partners, and will seek broad guidance from the Director of HSIS. The incumbent will also coordinate with various technical working groups (within the Gavi Secretariat or across multiple agencies) related to Gavi’s direct financial support to countries for HSS.
He or she will work closely with partners to improve Gavi’s performance-based funding (PBF) approach for HSS, based on lessons learnt from the early years of implementation. Working closely with relevant internal and external constituencies in providing tailored support to fragile and underperforming countries is also expected. Lastly, the Senior Specialist, HSIS, will represent the Gavi Secretariat in various development partners’ forums, such as the International Health Partnership Plus (IHP+).
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all of the following experience, skills, knowledge, and personal
Education and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or PhD) in Economics (preferred), Public Health, Social Sciences, or equivalent.
Work Experience and other qualifications
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience in managing international health programmes and teams, including a focus on health system strengthening, as well as providing technical assistance to countries in health sector reforms, health policy analysis and the implementation of health projects
- Experience with performance based funding or other similar health financing programmes
- Familiarity with the World Bank’s Results-Based Financing programme is an asset
- A direct field experience in developing countries
- Proven experience in coordinating development partners’ forums or multi-agency technical working groups
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in an international health and development organization
- Previous work experience in one of the Gavi Alliance core partner organisations is an asset.
- Written and spoken fluency in English is essential. French Communication Skills are highly desirable.
Skills and competencies
- Proven analytical and technical writing skills
- Ability to combine theoretically sound strategies with realities on the ground
- Ability to strike the right balance between analysis and actions
- Ability to multi-task, correctly set priorities, and adapt to a fast-paced work environment;
- Team-player and client-oriented
- Highly motivated individual capable of taking initiatives
- Ability to adapt to organisational changes
- Good knowledge of institutional or organisation policies, systems and procedures;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Tact and discretion
Note: The essential functions above are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities. Other duties may be
assigned consistently within the department’s needs. Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce
and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
|Job Category||Senior Specialist|