AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN A LEADING AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH CENTER IN AFRICA AND HEAD THE TOP MANAGEMENT TEAM IN FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION AS DIRECTOR OF CORPORATE SERVICES (DCS)
AfricaRice Centre appointed CARRHURE to help recruit a Director of Corporate Services (DCS). As a member of the AfricaRice senior management team (Executive Management Committee), the mission of the DCS is to work closely with the EMC and other stakeholders, including the relevant CGIAR system component and provide the appropriate overall direction and support to the Corporate Services Unit of the Centre, in order to achieve the Institution’s objectives, mission and vision.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an intergovernmental association of African member countries. Its membership comprises of 25 countries, covering West, Central, East and North African regions.
Its mission is to contribute to poverty alleviation and food security in Africa, through research, development and partnership activities aimed at increasing the productivity and profitability of the rice sector by ensuring the sustainability of the farming environment.
Director of Corporate Services
Based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire, the DCS will lead and manage a client-oriented Corporate Services (CS) Division and provide appropriate support to the Center in a high results-oriented organizational setup. The DCS will advise the Director General on policies relating to finance, budget, security, human resource management and general administration of the Center, its staff and facilities. The incumbent will also provide periodic reporting to the staff, the Director General, the Board of Trustees (quarterly) and to the CGIAR on the funding and budget of the Center. In addition, the incumbent will assist the Director General in the overall management of the Center and act on his behalf when required to and will perform any other related duties that may be requested by the Director General to ensure the efficient management of the Center and achieve its objectives, mission and vision.
The DCS’s tasks will include, but will not be limited to, the following
- Assume leadership, strategic direction and full management responsibility of all the Corporate Services functions of the Center including the recommendation and administration of the Institution’s policies and procedures
- Lead the development and promotion of a service-oriented culture in the Center, while ensuring that the robust internal control systems are sufficiently in place to safeguard the assets of the Center
- Design and deliver services based on client needs through internal and external consultative processes to ensure that services are relevant, needed and are of high value
- Ensure the financial stability and viability of the Center through proper financial planning and management
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, representing the Center at various relevant CGIAR System meetings
- Ensure that the Center’s infrastructure and physical facilities are maintained at international standards where AfricaRice has the legal responsibility for their upkeep and capital investment
- Make necessary presentations to the Board of Trustees, especially on funding and budget
- Ensure the development and operationalization of the annual budgets of the organization
- Interface with Senior Management on strategic and operational issues of the Centre
We are looking for candidates with in-depth knowledge in managing human, financial and physical resources in an international organization. Strong business experience in public and private sectors will be an asset. The successful candidate should also have an outstanding service approach and service management. The ideal candidate should have a strong motivation and leadership skills that can bring out the best from both individuals and teams.
- The ideal incumbent will have the following qualifications, experience and key competencies:
Advanced University degree in a field related to finance/accounting (Certified Public Accountant or Chartered Accountant) and/or business administration and advanced professional qualification in finance or related fields
- At least 10 years of proven expertise in the areas of general management, including financial management, human resources, operations and image building at international and multicultural levels, preferably in an international organization. Senior management experience with sub-regional or global agricultural research organization and knowledge of the CGIAR will be an asset
- Ability to promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of AfricaRice, and demonstrate integrity by adhering to the Center’s core values and ethical standards
- Ability to provide advisory and technical support for the implementation, monitoring, and improvement of the financial aspect of AfricaRice research for development strategy 2011–2020, leading to the effective implementation of all AfricaRice programs
- Ability to think strategically, synthesize and disseminate messages from complex issues
- Ability to encourage and facilitate innovation and teamwork in a multicultural environment, including sensitivity to gender and diversity of the Center
- Ability to manage, supervise and evaluate a diverse team of managers from different cultures and has the credibility to earn respect within the center and its external partners
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with fluency in English and a very good working knowledge of French