AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO MANAGE AN INTERNATIONAL AGRICULTURAL
R&D TEAM IN AFRICA AS DEPUTY DIRECTOR GENERAL/DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH
FOR DEVELOPMENT (DDG/DGR4D)
AfricaRice Centre appointed CARRHURE to help recruit a Deputy Director General/Director of Research for Development (DDG/DGR4D). Being a member of the AfricaRice senior management team (Executive Management Committee), the mission of the DDG & DR4D is to work closely with the EMC and other stakeholders, including the relevant CGIAR system component and provide the appropriate overall direction and support to the DDG and DR4D Units, Program Leaders and Project coordinators of AfricaRice to achieve the Institutions objectives, mission and vision.
The Africa Rice Centre (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving the livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an intergovernmental association of African member countries. Its membership comprises of 25 countries, covering West, Central, East and North African regions.
Deputy Director General/Director of Research for Development
Based at AfricaRice’s 700 ha experimental station at M’bé, near Bouaké, Côte d’Ivoire, the incumbent will have the combined functions of the DDG and the DR4D. As the DDG of the Centre, the successful candidate will deputize for the DG and may be asked to act as interim DG of the Centre if required. The DDG/DR4D will travel frequently to AfricaRice’s Headquarters office in Abidjan and to its regional and country stations.
The DDG/DR4D’s tasks will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Assist the Director General in overall strategic thinking, priority setting, planning and coordination of the Centre’s activities in general.
- Stimulate the use of effective and efficient monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment methodologies, and promote a learning culture in the Centre and among its partners
- Stimulate the establishment of an effective knowledge management strategy and implementation plan to promote in particular the rapid and equitable diffusion of successful experiences and innovations, especially those generated by AfricaRice
- Chair the Centre’s Risk Management Committee and provide oversight to the management of the Centre’s intellectual assets
- Assist the Director General in fundraising efforts for the Centre from traditional and non-traditional sources and provide oversight to the annual budgeting process of the Institution and ensure the equitable allocation of its resources to the Regions, Program and Units
- Lead strategic thinking, priority setting, planning and coordination, monitoring and reviews of AfricaRice’s research for development activities across multiple disciplines and Programs with a large range of partners from the public and private sector in a high results-oriented setup
- Ensure continuous review and adjustment of research priorities in close consultation with AfricaRice’s multiple partners while aligning it with the Centre’s vision and mission
- Provide leadership to the staff of the Research for Development Division and ensure that resources are mobilized and used in the most effective and efficient manner
- Commission periodic reviews of research programs in consultation with the Director General and the Chair of the Program Committee of the Board of Trustees of the Centre
- Consolidate and further strengthen, in particular, research partnerships with national agricultural research institutions, advanced research institutes, regional and continental research fora, the private sector and non-governmental organizations in and out of Africa
- Lead the management and implementation of research activities of the Global Rice Science Partnership (GRiSP), involving other CGIAR centres and Advanced Research partners in Africa
- Develop and ensure the sustenance of an effective research for development continuum through Africa Rice’s programs and networks involving multiple consortia and public and private sector partnerships modesEns
- ure balanced allocation of resources to the Centre’s Programs and lead fund-raising efforts from traditional and non-traditional sources interested in research for development
- Interface with Senior Management on strategic and operational issues and perform any other related duties that may be requested by the Director General to ensure efficient and effective management thereby achieving the objectives, mission and vision of AfricaRice
We are looking for candidates who possess excellent work experience particularly with the implementation of agricultural research projects and knowledge of the challenges and opportunities for agricultural research and rural development in sub-Saharan Africa. The successful candidate should be an achiever with a Doctorate degree in a relevant field and has at least 10 years of senior management and leadership experiences in an international agricultural research organization. Successful experience in fundraising is also essential. The incumbent should be an excellent communicator with fluency in English and has a very good working knowledge of French.
Other Key Competencies:
- Ability to promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of AfricaRice and is able to demonstrate integrity by adhering to the Centre’s core values and ethical standards
- Ability to think strategically and is able to synthesize and disseminate messages from complex issues
- Ability to encourage and facilitate innovation and teamwork in a multicultural environment, including sensitivity to gender and diversity of the Centre
- Strong motivation and leadership skills to bring out the best from both individuals and teams