AN EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A CGIAR CENTER’S SENIOR MANAGEMENT POSITION DEDICATED TO REDUCING POVERTY, ENHANCING FOOD AND NUTRITION SECURITY, AND IMPROVING NATURAL RESOURCES
Bioversity International (https://www.bioversityinternational.org/) and CIAT (https://ciat.cgiar.org/) are advancing in establishing an Alliance to deliver research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Implementation is underway to operationalize the Alliance in January 2020. The main components include finalizing a research strategy and results framework (SRF), and aligning and harmonizing operations and procedures to reduce transaction costs and increase effectiveness and impact.
The Alliance works with local, national and multinational partners from low- to high-income countries across Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia and Africa, and with the public and private sectors. With partners, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations in large-scale programs to create food systems and landscapes that sustain the planet, drive prosperity and nourish people. The Alliance is part of CGIAR, the world’s largest agricultural research and innovation partnership for a food-secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Together, Bioversity and CIAT bring a combined 2019 budget of roughly US$128 million and approximately 1,200 staff to the Alliance. Some 60% of staff are at the 500-hectares CIAT campus in Palmira, Colombia, where “Future Seeds,” a state-of-the-art genetic resources center, is under construction.
Managing Director for the Americas
The Managing Director (MD) will lead the operations in the Americas, from the campus in Palmira. The MD, who will report to the Director General (DG) in Rome.
- Will be responsible for the organization’s ongoing success in the region, working closely with colleagues and partners and building on the centers’ accomplishments, experience, and partnerships in the region.
- In a role that spans research and management, the MD will play a pivotal role in advancing change efforts, as CIAT and Bioversity International strive to build a unified, efficient and agile research organization that is positioned to carry out its SRF.
- Within the framework of the global SRF, the MD will lead the process to shape the Alliance’s research strategy for the Americas and will oversee its implementation.
- This individual also will be responsible for overseeing, and as appropriate rethinking, the business operations at the campus in Palmira, and serving as the legal representative of CIAT in Colombia.
- This opportunity will engage a creative and forward-thinking leader who is prepared to collaboratively tackle strategic, research, and organizational demands to strengthen the Alliance’s capacity to successfully serve our important mission
We are looking for goal-oriented and creative team players with an advanced university degree Ph.D. or Master’s degree in a relevant field. He or she must be an accomplished leader or manager of a regional or global organization, with a track record of success in mobilizing resources and experience in leading an organization through change, deep knowledge of the research-for-development landscape in the Americas and the role of international and regionally based players.
Candidates should also possess:
- Capabilities and Knowledge in:
- Research Strategy and Implementation: Understands the research needs in the Americas, the role of various players, and the niche of the Alliance.
- Partnerships and Communications: Builds new and maintains active strategic partnerships in the region that advance research, resource mobilization, and government relations.
- Management and Organization: Plans and ensures sound management of the Palmira campus and Alliance operations, finances and facilities in the region, strengthening systems and practices in response to research needs.
- High-level relationships in the Americas and excellent relationship-building skills, working within a diverse community
- Fluency in English and Spanish both verbal and written is essential
- He or she must be an excellent communicator including the ability to build and promote teamwork, build consensus and a business-savvy
Please note that only a non-Colombian incumbent may have the status of head of an international technical mission and enjoy the associated privileges and immunities in Colombia, according to the terms of the Host Country Agreement signed between the Government of Colombia and CIAT.
This position is internationally recruited. The contract will be for three (3) years, renewable depending on performance. The Alliance strives to offer multicultural, collegial research environment with a competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence.
CIAT is an equal opportunity employer: applications from qualified women are strongly encouraged.
Applicants should send their an up-to-date CV and a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, and skills with copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 27, 2019 at 18.00 CET. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘application for the post of ‘Managing Director for the Americas’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.