Managing Director for Asia
CIAT - Bioversity International Alliance
AN EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A CGIAR CENTER’S SENIOR MANAGEMENT POSITION DEDICATED TO REDUCING POVERTY, ENHANCING FOOD AND NUTRITION SECURITY, AND IMPROVING NATURAL RESOURCES
Bioversity International (https://www.bioversityinternational.org/) and CIAT (https://ciat.cgiar.org/) are advancing in establishing an Alliance to deliver research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Implementation is underway to operationalize the Alliance in January 2020. The main components include finalizing a research strategy and results framework (SRF); and aligning and harmonizing operations and procedures to reduce transaction costs, and increase effectiveness and impact.
The Alliance works with local, national and multinational partners from low- to high-income countries across Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia and Africa, and with the public and private sectors. With partners, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations in large-scale programmes to create food systems and landscapes that sustain the planet, drive prosperity and nourish people. The Alliance is part of CGIAR, the world’s largest agricultural research and innovation partnership for a food-secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Together, Bioversity and CIAT bring a combined 2019 budget of roughly US$128 million and approximately 1200 staff to the Alliance. With operational presence in more than 12 countries, around 80 staff, 6 country offices, and a strong project proposal pipeline, the Asia region is one of the three key regional priorities for the Alliance.
Managing Director for Asia
The Alliance seeks a Managing Director to lead operations in Asia (MD Asia), based in Hanoi, Vietnam. The MD Asia, who will report to the Director General (DG) in Rome, will be responsible for the organization’s ongoing success in the region, working closely with colleagues and partners and building on its accomplishments, experience, and partnerships in the region.
In a role that spans research and management, The MD Asia will play a pivotal role in advancing change efforts, as the Alliance strive to build a unified, efficient and agile research organization that is positioned to carry out its SRF. Within the framework of the global SRF, the MD Asia will lead the process to shape the Alliance’s research strategy for the Asia region, and will oversee its implementation.
This opportunity will engage a creative and forward-thinking leader who is prepared to collaboratively tackle strategic, research, and organizational demands to strengthen the Alliance’s capacity to successfully serve its important mission.
We are looking for goal-oriented and creative team players with an advanced university degree PhD or Master’s degree in a relevant field. He or she must be an accomplished leader or manager of a regional or global organization, with a track record of success in mobilizing resources and experience in leading an organization through change, A deep knowledge of the research for development landscape in Asia, and the role of international and regionally-based players.
Candidates should also possess:
- Capabilities and Knowledge in:
- Research Strategy and Implementation: Understands the research needs in the Asia region, the role of various players, and the niche of the Alliance. Provides strategic direction of Alliance research in the region, in alignment with the global SRF and in collaboration with colleagues and partners. Guides the formulation of priorities and plans, and oversees results-oriented implementation.
- Partnerships and Communications: Builds new and maintains active strategic partnerships in the region that advance research, resource mobilization, and government relations. Identifies and successfully pursues opportunities to develop the project pipeline and attract funding, working collaboratively with others. Serves as a lead spokesperson in the region, creating positive visibility for the Alliance.
- Management and Organization: Plans and ensures sound management of the Alliance operations, including oversight to regional country offices, finances and facilities in the region, strengthening systems and practices in response to research needs. Serves as a “champion” of organizational change and alignment efforts in the region, and fosters trust and a high-performing team culture.
- High-level relationships in the Asia region, and excellent relationship-building skills, working within a diverse community
- Fluency in English is mandatory. Knowledge of a second language relevant to regional needs and context is highly desirable
- He or she must be an excellent communicator including the ability to build and promote teamwork, build consensus and a business savvy
This position is internationally recruited. The contract will be for three (3) years, renewable depending on performance. The Alliance strives to offer multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence.
CIAT is an equal opportunity employer: applications from qualified women are strongly encouraged.
Applicants should send their an up-to-date CV and a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, and skills with copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: email@example.com no later than November 8, 2019 at 18.00 CET. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘application for the post of ‘Managing Director for Asia’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.