AN EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION COMMITTED TO HAVE A HEALTHY, INCLUSIVE AND RESILIENT WORLD THROUGH ROOT AND TUBER SYSTEMS.
We have been retained by the International Potato Center (https://cipotato.org/ ) to fill the Chief Financial Officer Position. Currently, we are contacting finance experts to help us locate a person who is qualified and ready for this position.
The International Potato Center (CIP) was founded in 1971 as a research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato and andean roots and tubers. It delivers innovative science-based solutions to enhance access to affordable nutritious food, foster inclusive sustainable business and employment growth, and drive the climate resilience of root and tuber agri-food systems. Headquartered in Lima, Peru, CIP has a research presence in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
CIP is a CGIAR research center, a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is carried out by 15 CGIAR centers in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector.
The position is based at CIP Headquarters in Lima, Peru.
Chief Financial Officer
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to hire an experienced CFO to assist the Director General in achieving CIP’s performance objectives including operational growth. The CFO will be responsible for all financial KPI metric reporting aspect of the business.
The CFO serves as a key member of the Executive Leadership team for CIP, playing a key role in developing and implementing strategy. Reporting to the Director General and partnering with other members of senior management, the CFO will oversee and manage reporting systems and controls, ensuring that key functional leaders and their teams are provided with accurate, timely, and relevant financial data that is required to run the operations.
The Chief Financial Officer will oversee all aspects of the International Potato Center’s finances (financial planning and oversight, budget planning and monitoring, accounting, treasury) and procurement. Beyond these primary duties the CFO will also lead the Global Information Technology (IT), Risk Management and Security, Facilities and Maintenance Departments based in Lima, Peru but operating in the global environment across 23 country offices around the world. Additionally, the CFO will contribute to enhancing the Center’s internal operations, resource mobilization, and business model strategy working closely with the Director General and the Senior Management Team to plan, build consensus, and drive the implementation of new and emerging concepts to achieve results.
Finance & Procurement
- Manage the CIP’s fiscal operations, including the effectiveness, integrity and transparency of the finance, accounting, budgeting, control, reporting, IT, security and facilities functions.
- Ensure accurate and high-quality project budgeting and financial monitoring, accounting and reporting (throughout the project life cycle), putting in place and optimizing processes and tools for this purpose.
- Develop efficient and effective financial and business planning models (three-year revolving plan), along with performance metrics that drive the development of monthly and quarterly reports and the annual budgeting process. This must be done considering that we are a project-based organization that requires all of this at the project, program and organizational level.
- Responsible for all finance and accounting functions, including day-to-day financial reporting, working capital/cash management, financial controls and risk management.
- Oversee all financial operations of the organization including tax, accounting, bank relationships, treasury, cash management, payroll, forecasting, and risk management activities to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Works across the organization to ensure effective budget preparation, monitoring of budget variances and linking actual results back to strategic priorities established by the organization’s managerial and functional areas.
- Lead audit preparations and manage ongoing relationship with auditors to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Implementation and maintenance of annual overhead rate calculation for utilization in the fundraising efforts with traditional Aid donors, private donors, foundations, corporations, etc.
- Partner with the Director General and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees to deploy investment capital in the most effective manner to achieve the organization’s long-term strategic initiatives.
- Preparation of timely and accurate financial reporting to the management teams and the Board of Directors.
- Direct timely and accurate preparation of profit and loss account, balance sheet, standard and special management reports, providing financial analysis and recommendation to Senior Management decision.
- Ensure financial systems and reports are compatible with IFRS, CGIAR standards and follow donor rules and regulations.
- Assure that an appropriate financial framework is in place for informed decision making, including the development and review of financial and risk management strategies, internal audits, corporate financial planning and compliance activities, and improved processes.
- Structure and oversee financial support for growth across the regions where CIP operates.
- Provide strategic oversight and support to the Head of IT through regular meetings and annual reviews.
- Promote a digital transformation strategy by providing high level sponsorship to IT projects across the organization.
- Ensure organizational adherence to the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) policy. Approve annual ERM assessment report and present to Audit and Risk Committee.
- Oversee implementation of a system for organizational risk management, including a risk registry and reporting to the Board of Trustees on a biannual basis incidents and safeguarding risks.
- Provide strategic support and management to the Global Risk and Security Manager and Team to ensure appropriate utilization tools and protocols, training, policies and guidelines.
- Provide strategic support and management to the Facilities and Maintenance Manager and Team to ensure appropriate utilization tools and protocols, training, policies and guidelines.
- Lead CIP efforts to recruit, manage and develop high performing staff to achieve impact and deliver results.
- Develop a positive work environment for all staff to ensure the effective staff management framework, contribute to their performance reviews and identify succession and development plans.
- Manage and coach direct reports to ensure the effective talent management processes, contribute to their performance reviews and identify succession and development plans.
We are looking for goal-oriented and creative team players with an advanced university degree (Master’s degree) in Accounting or Business Administration and a minimum of 15 years of relevant management experience as a senior professional in a non-profit organization or social impact business including strategic planning and oversight, operational systems and policies, information systems, business processes and risk management in a “Hands-on” culture. He or she must have strong knowledge in international financial reporting and accounting standards, IFRS, and proven experience in applying them to produce financial statements for a globally diverse organization. Experience working across the Americas, Europe, Africa, and Asia (China and India) is ideal. Fluency in English and Spanish (both verbal and written) is essential for this position.
Candidates should also possess:
- Excellent business acumen to help lead and set course for CIP to grow and move forward
- Demonstrated knowledge of traditional Aid donors and their financial rules and regulations. Knowledge of USAID a plus.
- Experience creating systems, policies, and tools to support strategic and rapid organizational growth and scaling up organizations, with proven results.
- Demonstrated strategic and analytical skills, including using data and evidence to inform decisions, navigate through setbacks, and drive continuous improvements.
- Experience leading multiple work streams that extend beyond your immediate team, providing leadership for peers, subordinates and partners.
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance of diversity, inclusion, and equity in the workplace
- Experience hiring, supervising and managing staff; enforcing accountability; developing leadership across the organization
- Proven hands-on experience in planning and implementing challenging, complex projects that anticipate and respond to the demands of a high-growth organization.
- Strong desires to learn, grow, and apply knowledge to benefit the organization and to engender the same in team members.
- Experience in and commitment to developing team members, both on the job and by supporting staff development programs.
- Demonstrated success in managing people and activities in multicultural environments.
This is an internationally recruited position for which CIP offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience, comprehensive international insurance coverage, and attractive retirement plan. The successful candidate will be awarded a three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer: applications from qualified women are strongly encouraged.
Applicants should send their an up-to-date CV and a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, and skills with copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: email@example.com no later than May 15, 2019 at 18.00 CET. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘Application for the post of ‘Chief Financial Officer’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.