Water Sector Specialist
OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME PART OF A GROWING ORGANIZATION WHO AIMS TO MAKE AN AMBITIOUS CONTRIBUTION TO COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE AS A WATER SECTOR SPECIALIST
The Green Climate Fund or GCF (“The Fund”) aims to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change. The fund will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
The Division of Mitigation and Adaptation is responsible for a range of analytical and operational tasks related to policy, guideline and pipeline development. It is also responsible in the update and maintenance of the project pipeline database system and in the Portfolio Management system development.
To realize the Fund’s unprecedented mission, GCF is expanding its workforce. It is seeking a Water Sector Specialist who will be part of a growing organization that offers exciting challenges and responsibilities.
Water Sector Specialist – Division of Mitigation & Adaptation
The Water Sector Specialist will provide technical expertise, support the development of a pipeline of investments within the result area of integrated water resources management, sanitation, health (waterborne diseases), flood risk management, and support administration of a portfolio of investments. S/he will bring significant experience to the Fund, in stepping up efforts for investments in climate adaptive integrated water resources management systems. S/he will work closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other internal/external stakeholders by providing substantive guidance on methodological matters and technical inputs to proposed investments and activities. S/he will report to the Director of Mitigation & Adaptation. The duties and responsibilities are highlighted below:
- Develop and manage a pipeline of projects/programmes in integrated water resources management, sanitation, health (water borne diseases), flood risk management, and other water safety and security issues;
- Review and assess projects/programmes, funding proposals and concept notes as well as other applications to the Fund, by providing high-quality inputs and assuring compliance with the GCF policies and procedures;
- Monitor relevant portfolio and provide support to the implementation of the projects/programmes to ensure their performance is in line with intended results;
- Develop relevant policy documents, operational guidelines, procedures, document templates, reports, tools and other products;
- Manage external consultants, monitor performance, review outputs and recommend and take corrective actions when needed;
- Strengthen the Fund’s knowledge management activities by providing technical expertise in the thematic areas.
We are looking for a highly competent individual with a minimum of 11 years of relevant experience in more than one of these roles: project origination, development, appraisal, management and/or financing, from working with a utility, consultancy firm, non-governmental organization, international organizations, donor or multilateral agencies. The individual should have a Master’s degree in water resources management, water and sanitation, agriculture, environmental engineering, civil engineering or a related field. Fluency in English is essential for this position while knowledge of another United Nations language would be an advantage. Other relevant skills needed include:
- Experience in working with national governments and agencies on climate change will be a plus;
- Familiarity with climate policy as well as keep abreast of ongoing discussions and decisions under the Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Experience in working in developing countries, with a particular focus on LDCs, SIDs and Africa; experience working in international organizations is highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of multiple teams in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders, maintaining good working relationships;
- Experience in establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different backgrounds and cultures
- Good teamwork, proactive and can-do attitude, and ability to act as a team leader when required;
- Strong planning and organizing skills;
- Exceptional client orientation and communication skills
Please send your CV and cover letter to Ms. Aurée de Carbon at email@example.com
Closing date : Friday 23rd of December.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Job Category||Senior Specialist|