Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
ADVANCE YOUR CAREER AND BROADEN YOUR EXPERTISE WHILE MAKING A TANGIBLE CONTRIBUTION TO BETTERING THE LIVELIHOODS OF POOR AND VULNERABLE PEOPLE
The West and Central African Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF/WECARD) was founded in 1987. CORAF/WECARD (www.coraf.org ) is composed of the National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) of 23 countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea- Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Sao Tomé et Principe Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
The Vision of CORAF/WECARD is “a sustainable reduction in poverty and food insecurity in WCA through an increase in agricultural-led economic growth and sustainable improvement of key aspects of the agricultural research system”. Its mission is to ensure “a sustainable improvement of the competitiveness, productivity and markets of the agricultural system of West and Central Africa by meeting the major demands of target groups of the sub-regional research system”.
CORAF/WECARD is recruiting a highly skilled scientist for the position of Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist. Candidates will be citizens of a country which National Agricultural Research System (NARS) is member of CORAF/WECARD.The position is based in Dakar, Sénégal.
Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be under the authority of CORAF/WECARD Director of Research and Innovation and report to the Program Manager of the Partnership for Agricultural Research, Education and Development (PAIRED) Program towards the achievement of its objectives.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Develop sound M&E approaches, procedures and tools to track performance and impacts of programs coordinated by CORAF/WECARD across the sub-region and beyond;
- Develop and implement appropriate monitoring and evaluation structures, including Country and Partner level M&E system design and management, preparation of indicator reference sheets, Performance Monitoring Plans (PMP), data collection tools; performance indicator tracking mechanisms; data quality assessments and other key M&E-related tools and instruments;
- Design baseline and reference studies to collect information on performance indicators and outcomes at the start of programs coordinated by the Organization;
- Facilitate mid-term assessments and final evaluations when appropriate;
- Develop quarterly, half year and annual reports, and be involved in the development of periodic bulletins, newsletters and success stories on the performance of CORAF/WECARD programs;
- Design and coordinate capacity strengthening programs on M&E for CORAF/WECARD Secretariat and program partners to effectively track and manage performance of programs;
- Provide technical and analytical expertise on all subjects related to program monitoring and evaluation and organize annual program reviews as may be needed;
- In conjunction with Program Managers, ensure that all programs have up to date Performance Management Plans (PMPs) and M&E Guidelines in place;
- Ensure that tracking systems to be developed are functioning and implemented properly and that Project teams and National Partners are accurately reporting on results;
- Provide quality control support for all aspects of M&E included in CORAF/WECARD’s Performance Report (ensuring accuracy in data reported, targets established, indicator description, report editing, etc);
- Support in the management of appropriate database on activities and ensure data is of high and standard quality for reporting with appropriate documentary evidences;
- Monitor Gender and environmental impact of all actions under the PAIRED;
- Conduct other M&E and reporting tasks as may be requested by Management of CORAF/WECARD.
Facilitate Coordination and Communication
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with agri-inputs production and marketing stakeholders – at the individual and organizational levels;
- Facilitate communication between the Regional and the National Coordinating Units, through meetings, regular contacts and using communication tools;
- Manage daily interactions with agri-inputs stakeholders and provide timely and appropriate information as needed;
- Develop, in collaboration with the Communication and the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Units at the CORAF/WECARD Executive Secretariat, appropriate tools (e.g., Website and Media), to facilitate information sharing with stakeholders.
Monitor and evaluate milestones
- Facilitate Program planning, monitoring, evaluation, and impact assessment relating to agri-inputs production, marketing and use;
- Monitor progress towards results, both at CORAF/WECARD and national levels, identify and manage risks to ensure progress of implementation;
- Support the preparation of Programme reporting and archiving;
- Perform any other related duties as may be requested by the Management.
The candidate for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist is expected to have the following qualification and experience:
- Holder of a post-graduate degree (DEA, DESS or equivalent) in Agricultural Economics, Agronomy, Development Evaluation, Monitoring and Evaluation, International Development, Statistics or related subjects;
- At least 10 years of experience in the position of Monitoring and Evaluation in a development organization, an international NGO, donor organization or a reputable organization/institution working in core areas of agricultural technology transfer, food security, agriculture, economics of agricultural value chain;
- Good knowledge in the agricultural research and extension system in the West Africa sub-region particularly in food security and agriculture technology systems;
- Demonstrate sound and excellent knowledge in Monitoring and Evaluation approaches including the development of performance management systems; M&E software; data capturing instruments; management of huge database cutting across a variety of programs and stakeholders;
- Be familiar with USAID instruments for performance monitoring and evaluation;
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and a multi-cultural environment, and to travel extensively within the West Africa sub-region;
- Good oral and communication skills, including writing and editing of scientific and other general literature materials;
- Proactive and well-organised, with good planning and problem-solving abilities;
- Be able to communicate and write effectively in English and French.
Facilitate communication and liaison
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with M&E Specialists at the CORAF/WECARD Secretariat and National Coordinators at the country and/or institutional levels;
- Facilitate communication between the National Coordinating Units and Institutional Focal Persons, through meetings, regular contacts and using communication tools;
- Develop, in collaboration with the CORAF/WECARD and the National Communication Units the use of appropriate communication tools (e.g., Web Site and Media), to facilitate information sharing with stakeholders;
- Oversee planning, structuring, evaluation and reporting of major program meetings.
CORAF/WECARD offers competitive terms of employment. CORAF/WECARD is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women are strongly encouraged.
Applications should comprise a cover letter, a detailed CV, names and contact details (e-mail addresses and telephone) of three (3) references by e-mail at: email@example.com no later than November 6th 2017 at 17:30 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.