AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN AN INTERGOVERNMENTAL ORGANISATION FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING COUNTRIES IN THEIR EFFORTS TO IMPLEMENT A MORE EQUITABLE AND SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF THEIR WATER RESOURCES
The position is based in Stockholm, Sweden.
The Global Water Partnership (www.gwp.org) is a globally operating multi-stakeholder action network dedicated to working with countries toward the equitable, sustainable, and efficient management of water resources. The network is hosted by an inter-governmental organization headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden and it comprises of 3,000+ partner organizations in over 180 countries. Organized across 67 Country Water Partnerships and 13 Regional Water Partnerships, GWP convenes, brokers, and delivers coordinated action by government and non-government actors, including the private sector. GWP’s vision is a water-secure world. A long-time advocate for integrated water resources management, GWP draws on implementation experience at the local level and links it across the Network and to global development agendas.
The GWPO Secretariat is an intergovernmental Organisation hosted by the Government of Sweden through a Host Agreement concerning the immunities and privileges of the Organisation and its staff. Its team is comprised of a dynamic group of 30+ staff and consultants who work to support and coordinate GWP’s Regional Water Partnerships, Country Water Partnerships, and institutional partners, as well as all GWP’s stakeholders, and as such acts as the ‘network hub’ for the Global Water Partnership Network. Furthermore, the Secretariat manages GWPO’s finances and reports on funding received at the global level. Moreover, it fosters the exchange of knowledge, and resources and ensures communication and coherence across the GWP Network. The Secretariat is headed and managed by the Executive Secretary who is answerable to the Steering Committee. Due to its legal status conferred by the Host agreement, GWPO has its own set of rules and regulations in matters of employment and working conditions and benefits.
Human Resources Specialist
GWP is looking for a skilled Senior level HR Specialist with international experience who will recruit, support, and develop a multicultural environment by developing HR-related policies and managing procedures.
The incumbent will provide (among others) professional and effective support to GWP, including the Secretariat and the GWP Regional Water Partnerships on recruitment, employment contracts, professional development, performance improvement plan, HR-related policy development, and compliance.
The position is located within the GWP Secretariat’s Finance and Administration team. The HR specialist reports to the CFAO and works closely with the GWPO Executive Secretary. The incumbent while coordinating a team spread across different regions shall also develop, and encourage a collaborative multi-cultural work environment, promoting a personal and professional life balance.
The HR specialist is the liaison with the Swedish Foreign Ministry and supports international staff to relocate when moving to Stockholm.
1) Strategic HR Leadership and Planning
- Lead and plan the development and implementation of HR initiatives and systems.
- Provide counselling to all on HR policies and procedures and assure full compliance with the international labor law and ILOAT.
- Advise senior management on all aspects of human resources policies and procedures, strategic approaches, and delivery of HR services.
- Promote welfare, equality, and diversity as part of the culture of the organization.
2) Staffing, Recruitment, and Workforce Planning:
- Be actively involved in recruitment by preparing the terms of reference in collaboration with the head of unit and line managers, managing the application process, conducting assessments of applications, and coordinating the interviews.
- Manage the hiring process, determine the grade, negotiate remuneration packages, provide information on terms and conditions of service, entitlements, and similar, and prepare offer and appointment letters.
- Prepare staff handbooks, administer payroll, and liaise with the insurance providers.
- Maintain employee records according to policy and legal requirements.
- Liaise with counterparts at the Protocol Office of the MFA.
3) Talent Management, Development, and Training:
- Create, implement, and improve effective onboarding/offboarding plans.
- Identify and analyze staff development and career support needs and design learning management programs to meet identified needs.
- Elaborate and implement a protocol for the performance appraisal process, and facilitate that process in consultation with the Senior Management
- Assist in performance management processes.
- Support the management of disciplinary and grievance issues.
- Review employment and working conditions to ensure legal compliance.
4) Manage staff under his/her supervision and guide GWP Regions
- Support HR-related activities across the Regions in carrying out human resources administrative transactions, including preparation of personnel actions, maintenance of staffing tables, processing of contracts, and developing HR-related policies.
- Provide advice and support to Regional Coordinators on human resources-related matters in the Regions.
5) Performs any other related duties as required
- Perform other related tasks as requested by the CFAO or the ES
To carry out the role, the following experience and skills are required:
- Professionalism: Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance with a positive and collaborative attitude. Ability to exercise good judgment, diplomacy, discretion, and tact in handling sensitive issues. Knowledge of human resources policies, practices, and procedures and ability to apply them in an international environment. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, and make conclusions and recommendations. Be solution-oriented; demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter; meticulous and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; show persistence and adequate balance when facing difficult problems, challenges, or stressful situations.
- Service-oriented: Establish and maintain productive partnerships with colleagues by gaining their trust and respect; identify needs and match them to appropriate solutions; monitor ongoing developments inside and outside the environment to anticipate problems; contribute to team culture, keep staff informed of progress or setbacks in HR-related projects.
- Planning & organizing: Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to detail and ability to prioritize work among competing demands, and under tight deadlines; develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identify priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- E-literacy: Excellent e-skills, including the ability to use modern office technology and related software; propension to improve processes and systems to comply with a dynamic environment.
Education and experience
- Education: University degree in HR management or other behavioral sciences.
- Experience: At least 10 years of experience in a multicultural environment. Progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration, or related area. Being a member in good standing belonging to a recognized regulated HR Association would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience: At least 6 years of work experience at managerial level and in interacting with senior managers and management teams, analyzing HR statistics, and writing HR reports for management boards. Experience at a professional level with an international organization is desired.
- Knowledge of talent management, training, and recruitment.
- International organization experience, with knowledge of human resources, functions within the international non-profit sector, and Swedish labor law is an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Good knowledge of Swedish is an advantage.
- Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Terms of appointment, salary, and benefits
GWP offers competitive remuneration and an attractive work environment, with flat hierarchies and fast decisions, and with great opportunities for professional exposure and growth. The contract is initially offered for 2 years with the possibility of renewal.
Professionals with a background from Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, Latin America, or the Middle East are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV and a one-page cover letter, including copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 3rd, 2023 18:00 CET. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title “Application for the GWP_HR SPECIALIST Position”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.