AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A PREMIER PAN-AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTION, PROMOTING ECONOMIC GROWTH AND SOCIAL PROGRESS ACROSS THE AFRICAN CONTINENT
The position is in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2023 – 2032) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely, energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency, Technology and Corporate Services (TCVP) is responsible for the design, development and delivery of efficient, client-oriented, corporate services and information-technology solutions to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The Complex provides leadership in the formulation and implementation of the Bank’s strategies, policies, controls and approaches on organizational information technology systems, software applications, cyber security, IT support and infrastructure systems. The Complex is also responsible for management of the Bank’s real estate assets, institutional procurement, language services and business continuity.
The Hiring Department
The primary roles of the of the Real Estate Management, Procurement and General Services Department are to manage the Bank’s assets, oversee corporate procurement of goods, works, services, and real estate, manage institutional services (corporate travel, logistics, catering services, and mail services, fleet). To this end the Real Estate Management, Procurement and General Services Department: formulates and applies procurement policies and rules, guidelines for management of facilities and real estate services, elaborates and ensures the proper and effective application of administration policies within the Bank in such areas as communications, transport, travels, security, protection and safety of the Bank’s staff and property; and performs related duties. The Department is also responsible for managing the Bank’s fixed assets. The Real Estate Management, Procurement and General Services Department comprises three divisions: (i) the Operations and Maintenance Division; (ii) the Corporate Procurement Division; and (iii) the Support Services Division.
The Director, Real Estate Management, Procurement and General Services Department reports to the Vice President, Technology and Corporate Services and is key to the attainment of the Bank’s transformative agenda for Africa, through ensuring that there is adequate management of the Bank’s administrative services and assets management. Notably: (i) the effective and efficient management of the Bank’s real estate portfolio and facility management activities; (ii) the efficient management of the Bank institutional procurement services; and (iii) the management of support services including travel, food services, transport, insurance, and courier services.
The Director is responsible for defining the strategy, planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of the Department. His/her duties will include:
Real Estate Management
- Leading the development and implementation of the Bank’s Real Estate Management Frameworks and related Action Plans for the Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices; leading the planning of office footprint and management, to support the Bank’s decentralization strategy; and outlining long-term implications of policy choices.
- Leading the delivery of the Bank’s Real Estate Project Management Services in an efficient and sustainable manner (cost-effectiveness and environmentally friendly) including broad oversight of project planning and evaluation, budgeting and cost estimation, scope development and implementation etc.
- Leading the Bank’s Real Estate Operations & Facilities Management with global oversight that includes maintenance and operations, design and construction, space allocation and management, capital improvement and all property related administrative services across the Bank’s facilities. The Director will ensure that this is done in a safe, healthy, secure, sustainable, efficient, and cost-effective manner to support the Bank staff.
- Leading the development and implementation of policies, procedures and processes for management of Bank fixed assets, including their acquisition, management (including inventories) and disposal.
- Overseeing the implementation of corporate plans for the Headquarters building and other properties outside Headquarters while balancing the strategic, operational and financial objectives of the Bank.
- Leading the development and implementation of policies, procedures and processes for the operation and maintenance of Bank facilities (at Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices).
- Coordinating all aspects of capital projects (design, build, fit out, renovation, etc.), with multiple internal and external stakeholders including service providers, vendors and contractors.
- Ensuring that third-party service providers perform their duties as per contractual requirements and Service Level Agreements.
- Leading initiatives to optimize the economic value and financial performance of the portfolio.
- Leading sustainability and building efficiency initiatives.
- Promoting gender sensitivity and broader inclusivity in the deployment of facilities in all Bank premises.
- Setting long-term vision for the corporate procurement function and operationalizing it through strategies, policies, directives and procedures.
- Providing strategic guidance related to corporate procurement of goods, works and services and contract management.
- Overseeing activities related to the development and implementation and monitoring the policies, procedures and practices of corporate procurement services.
- Ensuring that procurement activities are carried out in accordance with relevant policies, directives and procedures in order to achieve optimum efficiency, cost effectiveness and timely completion of the Bank’s requirements. This includes ensuring that the Bank’s procurement systems and processes are efficient and enable the achievement of Value for Money.
- Leading the development and implementation of policies, procedures and processes for the provision of general services including management of vehicle fleet, official travel and accommodation, food/catering, mailing and logistical services.
- Leading the work program and resources programming related to the Bank’s corporate services.
- Leading the effective delivery of general services with due attention to client satisfaction.
- Ensuring the effective management of air/ground transport, logistical, accommodation and catering services during the Bank’s high-level events such as the Annual Meetings, the Africa Investment Forum, etc.
- Ensuring that third-party service providers perform their duties as per contractual requirements and Service Level Agreements.
- Leading the effective and efficient delivery of the Department work program with a clear client-oriented focus.
- Leading a Department-wide review of funding requirements for departmental projects, activities and initiatives and directing the formulation, preparation and presentation of departmental annual capital and administrative budgets; ensuring the effective management of budget resources, with the objective of cost effectiveness.
- Leading the Department management team by: leading the strategic staffing of the department to ensure the appropriate skills mix is in place; reviewing the operating model to ensure fitness for purpose; regularly assessing the management team and overseeing overall performance management and outcomes of the department; and addressing the capacity building needs of the Department with the support of the People & Talent Management Complex.
- Provide strong thought leadership in technical areas related to Department’s service lines (Real Estate Management, Procurement and General Services).
- Driving efficiencies to achieve increased effectiveness and value for money in the delivery of the Department’s mandate; leverage technology to achieve the desired results.
- Leading and monitoring Stakeholder Engagement and Change Management to ensure that the ultimate goal of the Bank is met, while proposing or recommending any corrective measures.
- Ensuring that the Key Performance Indicators set for the Department are met.
- Establishing adequate and effective governance and risk management and control mechanisms across the Department; and ensuring that staff are empowered with a focus on client orientation, results and the fulfilment of fiduciary responsibilities.
- Performing related duties, such as participation in various standing committees’ meetings including the Capital Investment Steering Committee, Annual Meetings Committee, Purchasing Committee, and Board meetings dealing with matters related to the Department’s functions.
The successful candidate will have the following profile:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Engineering, Management, Business Administration or closely related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant extensive and progressive experience in the private sector or an internationally recognized financial or development institution similar to the Bank, five (5) years of which such professional experience should be at managerial level.
- Have solid professional experience in real estate management, delivery of administrative services including facilities management, corporate procurement and institutional support services.
- Having a professional qualification in asset management, facility management, project management or procurement will be an added advantage, as well as competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP) and software relevant to project administration and standard Microsoft Suite of applications such as Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Strong project management skills and experience in coordinating work across institutional boundaries with various teams on complex assignments, with the ability to lead related change management programs.
- Strong managerial skills, including interpersonal communication and client-orientation.
- Ability to undertake sound analysis (skills and methods), in order to conceptualize future work or organizational changes, and capacity to develop strategies for change which includes strategic mind-set and ability to translate strategic thinking into a compelling plan of action, in a large international institution.
- Ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Ability to engage effectively with high-level stakeholders within and outside the Bank, to influence and negotiate for effective outcomes.
- Excellent strategic thinking skills and ability to engage in substantive dialogue on complex issues and to translate strategies to effective, implementable operational plans.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple business lines.
- Strong communications and presentation skills and ability to deal with highly sensitive issues at the Board and Senior Management levels and with a broad range of other internal or external stakeholders.
- Ability to develop a successful leadership style to establish and achieve exceptional organization performance and the ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure the timely accomplishment of tasks in the Department by giving valuable advice and providing constructive feedback.
- Ability to build and lead a motivated and committed team across functional boundaries and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Capacity to influence and inspire confidence.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in French or English with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV and a one-page cover letter, including copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: email@example.com no later than September 30, 2023 23:59pm GMT. Please indicate in the Subject’ of the email the title “application for the post of AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK _ DIRECTOR, REAL ESTATE MANAGEMENT, PROCUREMENT AND GENERAL SERVICES, TCVP (EL5).”
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.