Opportunity to make a difference in extremely vulnerable children’s life
The Terre des hommes – Helping children worldwide Foundation (Tdh) is a member of the Terre des Hommes International Federation (TDHIF) and is Switzerland’s leading child relief agency. With a volume of activity representing over CHF 100 million, it operates in more than 36 countries, running 100 development and humanitarian aid projects benefitting over 3 million people. The organisation employs 1750 people, including 130 based at its head office in Lausanne and its branch office in Zurich. Tdh’s projects in the direct aid, systems building and advocacy fields mainly address the issues of mother-child health and protection.
Terre des hommes is an impartial and independent NGO that supports vulnerable children and their families, regardless of their ethnic background, religion or political affiliation. Terre des hommes works with its partners and network on the protection and health of children.
Through a rights-based approach, Terre des hommes’ aims to guarantee a respect for and the implementation of the rights of children to bring about positive and sustainable change, both at institutional and community level. The children’s well-being and living conditions cannot be improved in the long-term unless all stakeholders work together towards this goal. The position is based in Lausanne (Switzerland).
Division Head – Institutional Fundraising
As part of the implementation of Tdh’s strategic plan, the Division Head will be responsible for creating and developing a new division in charge of institutional fundraising.
The Division Head – Institutional Fund Raising will play an active role in the strategic development of the Foundation by developing, applying and guiding the organisation’s institutional fundraising strategy. He/She will help raise the funds necessary to implement annual budgets while ensuring the organisation’s long-term financial stability in accordance with strategic priorities and values. He/She will strengthen the organisation’s positioning with regards to key donors, by better identifying and harnessing financing opportunities and influencing and anticipating changes to donor financing strategies. You will also develop skills and knowledge in line with donor expectations and internal processes.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Help develop and monitor the organisation’s strategy and institutional policies, ensuring these positions are incorporated into activities run by sectors for which he/she is responsible.
- Develop Tdh’s donor portfolio by identifying new financing opportunities and maximising the potential of existing donors through specific and recurring steering activities. Actively monitors the creation of new and innovative financing methods.
- Maintain close relationships with donors and the organisational community in order to influence existing strategies and position the organisation accordingly. Represents the Foundation when meeting with various networks and external bodies.
- Manage experience capitalization, information sharing and training on donors, in head office and the field.
- Help ensure that strategic requests comply with quality standards and deadlines.
- Provide support during donor audits and follows up on recommendations with staff members in charge of audits and internal checks.
- Take responsibility for team members and the internal staff network charged with managing key donor accounts, from the recruitment stage to the end of employment
The successful candidate will bring, among others:
- Post-graduate qualifications in management, marketing, commerce, politics, economics, MBA or any related field
- At least 10 years of experience working with governmental, non-governmental or international organisations, and at least five years’ experience in a similar position
- Proven experience in developing and managing major projects, especially in the consortia context
- Excellent business planning skills, especially in terms of return on investment
- Experience in high-level lobbying and negotiations
- A good understanding of current and future issues in the development and humanitarian fields
- High analytical and synthesis skills, and the ability to assess trends
- Proven knowledge and experience in the financing mechanisms of major donors (the US, UK, EU and UN in particular) for a pre-existing network of interlocutors
- Knowledge and experience of high-potential developing markets is a definite advantage
- Strong internal and external leadership skills; experience working in a matrix organisation is an advantage
- Excellent relationship-building and writing skills that can be adapted to interlocutors
- Fluency in English and French; knowledge of Spanish strongly recommended; knowledge of German is an advantage
- Entrepreneurship skills, including the ability to evaluate and take risks
- Ability and desire to work in a multicultural environment
- Highly mobile and open to travel frequently
Terre des hommes offers competitive terms of employment. Terre des hommes is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women are strongly encouraged.
Applications should comprise a cover letter, a detailed CV, names and contact details (e-mail addresses and telephone) of three (3) references by e-mail at: email@example.com no later than November, 24th 2017 at 17:30 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.