AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A PREMIER PAN-AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTION, PROMOTING ECONOMIC GROWTH AND SOCIAL PROGRESS ACROSS THE AFRICAN CONTINENT
The position is in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is to deliver financial and technical support for transformative projects in Regional Member Countries that will reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. To sharply focus the objectives of its Ten-Year Strategy and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (“High 5s”), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa have been identified for scaling up: Light up and power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The People and Talent Management Complex (PTVP), will retain overall responsibility for attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining a strong complement of professionals, support staff and contingent staff to deliver the business of the Bank into the future. The PTVP Complex is responsible for ensuring effective systems and controls for people and talent management from talent sourcing to retirement. The PTVP Complex is also responsible for the effective administration of the Bank’s benefit plans (medical and staff retirement) and ensuring the financial sustainability of these plans.
The Hiring Department
Talent, Performance and Staff Development Department is responsible for supporting key business initiatives and programs on performance management, staff development, including careers, learning, and talent development, and contributes to high levels of employee development and culture of performance.
The Department brings together the entire talent management life-cycle to maximize and leverage innovative solutions and strategies for increasing the Bank’s organizational and individual performance and capabilities.
The Director – Talent, Performance and Staff Development will oversee the management of two (2) Divisions namely: (i) Staff Performance & Recognition (PTCE.1) and (ii) Careers, Learning & Talent Development (PTCE.2). Reporting to and partnering with the Vice President, People and Talent Management, the Director leads a professional HR team to drive the talent and performance management, as well as the staff development agenda of the Bank’s People Strategy. As a key leadership team member, the Director of Talent, Performance and Staff Development Department works with highly motivated specialists to ensure that the talent, performance, and staff development strategies align with the Bank’s strategic business objectives and the People Strategy.
S/He handles all issues/areas related to talent and performance management for the Bank, ensuring the development, and building of a high-performance culture through continuous monitoring and evaluation of performance, through career development in the Bank. The job ensures that the Bank’s transformation into an enhanced strategic people-focused organization delivering excellent service, is achieved.
Under the overall supervision of the Vice President, People and Talent Management (PTVP), the Director Talent, Performance and Staff Development Department, will be responsible for contributing to the Bank’s goals, success and development impact by:
- Contributing to the execution of the Banks People strategy and plan; organize, direct, and coordinate the Department’s work plan and related resource planning and utilization; assign projects and programmatic responsibilities; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; engage staff to prevent and/or identify and resolve problems.
- Developing a progressive Talent Management Strategy for the Bank that will ensure strategic alignment to the overall Bank and People Strategies, with defined accountabilities, targeted methodologies, and clear expectations.
- Formulating and defining a holistic Talent Management Framework, comprising talent requirements, talent risk management, investment measurement, governance and infrastructure, and talent plans for the Bank.
- Defining a Career Management Framework with clear career paths at the Bank in a way that increases employee engagement and retention, by promoting career development and progression as well as enabling talent mobility.
- Providing leadership and direction in creating innovative solutions and best practice talent management approaches, processes and tools, that proactively help build and maintain a talented, motivated and qualified workforce.
- Leading the organization leadership agenda by building a strong pipeline of leaders through the provision of world-class learning and development programs.
- Formulating and recommending people policies and programs in line with the Bank’s strategies and priorities, in the different aspects of people and talent management, including institutional capacity building, staff mobility, and young professionals program management.
- Providing support and tools for career conversations, guidance, and transition support.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of the people and talent management strategy and programs, ensuring that people and talent management resources are deployed strategically, and staff’s careers are managed proactively.
- Overseeing the design and development of curricula and programs to build staff’s capabilities.
- Defining, designing and delivering training programs, courses (included identifying training needs, delivery preparation, delivery, implementation, and evaluation).
- Managing the upkeep, review, and refreshing of the existing Learning Management System and related content to support the delivery of hybrid, in-person, and online training programs and blended learning courses and ensure the linkage from performance to development.
- Driving a culture of performance management and recognition across the Bank, designing and providing tools to support a business focused processes.
- Designing and implementing the Bank’s recognition framework and programs that are aligned to the compensation framework and ensure the adoption of best practices and alignment with the strategic objectives of the Bank.
- Defining and building a high-performance culture in line with the Bank’s corporate strategy, with a clear line of sight to functional, individual goals and objectives and other people management levers such as compensation, training, succession planning etc.
- Reviewing the Banks performance management architecture, tools and instruments, including the performance measures, scorecards, dimensions, ratings, etc, to ensure that they are fit for purpose.
- Ensuring that the Bank’s key performance indicators are aligned with the core strategic themes, values, and behavioural competencies.
- Managing resources – accountable for delivering the agreed upon work program through cost-effective use of resources within the agreed parameters and in compliance with internal controls and policies.
- Building and maintaining networks of senior people and talent management professionals in other international organizations as well as key global companies in the private sector to share information and bring in the latest external thinking and best practice.
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with clients to both understand their needs and communicate the direction of programs and initiatives.
- Providing leadership, direction, coaching, and feedback to develop a high performing and talented team, and sustain a high performing team over time through effective people management.
- Enabling the Bank to develop effective value propositions as well as structured career and development plans for various workforce segments, with defined benefits to the Bank and employees.
- Representing the Department at corporate level forums and committees.
The successful candidate will have the following profile:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources Management, Organizational Development, Law or related disciplines. A professional qualification in people and talent management or project management will be an added value.
- At least ten (10) years of extensive and progressive experience in Human Resource Management, five (5) years of which should have been in a managerial role and/or in supervising a team and coordinating work programs or projects.
- Demonstrable experience executing organizational transformational change and process improvements.
- Working experience in a multilateral development organization is an asset.
- Sound understanding of the business and operational needs with proven capacity to innovate, promote and direct change initiatives in corporate human resource policies and services in large organizations and a client-centric, business partnering environment.
- Proven experience in policy and strategy development, talent and performance management, career development, and other functional areas of people management.
- Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling environment, including leading, supervising, mentoring, developing, and evaluating staff.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully translating business and people and talent management strategies into the design and implementation of programs in the position’s area of responsibility.
- Ability to handle complexity and ambiguity and deal with competing priorities and tight deadlines. Mental agility to keep pace with a constantly evolving business requirement.
- Strong generalist people and talent management experience, especially in; (i) supporting managers and staff in planning and implementing change, (ii) employment relations, well-being, and work-life balance, (iii) (iv) equal opportunities and employment policies, (v) management of people and talent management information systems and processes (vi) performance management, (vii) people planning, career planning, and succession management.
- Sound analytical skills – ability to build and analyze people and talent management data accuracy, including people and talent management -approved KPIs.
- Proven track record in people and talent management Projects Management.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language. 14. Competence in using standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and ERP Systems (preferably SAP HR), e-Recruitment systems, and project management software like share point or any similar software.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV and a one-page cover letter, including copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 24, 2023 23:59pm GMT. Please indicate in the Subject’ of the email the title “application for the post of AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK _ DIRECTOR – TALENT, PERFORMANCE AND STAFF DEVELOPMENT (EL5)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview