AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A CGIAR CENTER FOCUSED ON DELIVERING INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT IN NON-TROPICAL DRY AREAS OF THE DEVELOPING WORLD
Established in 1977, the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA (www.icarda.org ) is headquartered in the Middle East, with regional offices across North and sub-Saharan Africa and West, Central, and South Asia. ICARDA works in partnership with national agricultural research systems (NARS), governments, civil society, and the private sector to develop scalable agricultural solutions that contribute to poverty reduction, food and nutritional security, and sustainable utilization of natural resources.
ICARDA envisions thriving and resilient livelihoods in the dry areas of the developing world with adequate incomes, secure access to food, markets, and nutrition, and the capacity to manage natural resources in equitable, sustainable, innovative ways. Its mission is to reduce poverty and enhance food, water, and nutritional security and environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change.
The organization do this through strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development and taking into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming non-tropical dry areas.
Director – Resource Mobilization, Partnership and Outreach
Reporting to the Director General, and in close collaboration with ICARDA’s research and outreach managers, the Director, Resource Mobilization, Partnership and Outreach, guided by ICARDA’s 2017 – 2026 strategy, will further develop and lead the execution of strategies to enhance the impact of the ICARDA’s research through effective resource mobilization, strategic partnerships, and communications to enhance the international profile of ICARDA. The Director will supervise and manage ICARDA’s Outreach Offices, Project Development and Grants Management Unit, and Communications Unit. He or she will support the Director General in cultivating, building and nurturing donors’ partners as well as Institutional strategic partnerships and alliances that are essential for advancing and successfully achieving the mission of ICARDA. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director, Resource Mobilization, Partnership and Outreach will contribute to the overall effective management of ICARDA.
The Director – Resource Mobilization, Partnership and Outreach will have the following responsibilities:
- Further develop, implement, and monitor resource mobilization strategies to grow ICARDA’s research-for-development operation and partnerships;
- Identify, engage and secure support from a range of donors’ partners, including governments, international and national agencies, multilateral institutions, non-governmental organizations, foundations and the private sector;
- Support the Director General in cultivating, building and nurturing donors’ partners as well as institutional strategic partnerships and alliances that are essential for advancing the mission of ICARDA;
- Establish resource mobilization targets and report regularly to the BOT and Director General on progress;
- Keep ICARDA’s relevant staff informed about key trends on global research for development issues and donors’ environment by generating and analyzing related data and information, and sharing it within the organization;
- Explore and pilot the development of a Service Delivery Unit.
Communication and advocacy
Through the direct supervision of the Communications Unit,
- Oversee the positioning of ICARDA in the agricultural research for development arena through strong branding and effective communication of its scientific achievements to increase its visibility in support of its mandate and resource mobilization strategy;
- Raise awareness of the impact and tangible benefits generated through past, present and future investments in ICARDA’s research;
- Identify and ensure that ICARDA is effectively engaged in significant and relevant global initiatives and fora through effective planning and representation.
Out-scaling of research
- Through the direct supervision of Outreach Offices,
- Ensure ICARDA’s effective partnership with NARS, particularly with countries hosting ICARDA’s operation and collaborative projects;
- Identify opportunities for and, in close collaboration with the Deputy Director General-Research, lead the development of partnerships for the out-scaling of ICARDA’s research that will deliver significant development impact;
- Further develop and oversee ICARDA’s outreach activities;
- Supporting regional and country teams with national partnerships’ development and donors’ cultivation;
- Monitor and periodically assess and report on the value and effectiveness of ICARDA’s partnerships.
Proposal development and grants management
Through the direct supervision of Project Development and Grants Management Unit,
- Provide oversight, coordination, technical support, and quality assurance of the proposal development and submission process;
- Ensure efficient and effective management of grants;
- Ensure timely and quality technical and financial reporting to donors on the progress of their grants managed by ICARDA;
- Explore opportunities for expanding ICARDA’s sources of funding through increased access to calls for proposals, non-traditional donors and new partnerships.
- Lead, motivate and effectively manage a multicultural and multidisciplinary team of staff;
- Nurture a culture of teamwork, empowerment, collaboration, and performance for results;
- Effectively manage the financial resources allocated to the department;
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to support multi-year financial planning and annual budgeting process;
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, contribute to the overall effective management of ICARDA.
We are looking for candidates with a PhD and/or an advanced degree in a scientific discipline relevant to ICARDA, e.g. agricultural development, rural development, agricultural economics with at least 12 years’ progressively responsible experience in the area of agricultural research and development, including experience in an international not-for-profit environment.
Proven capability to effectively manage resource mobilizations programmes, including strategic partnerships, and communications. Candidates should also possess:
- In-depth understanding of global agricultural research and development issues
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills to work effectively in a multicultural setting;
- Excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and written. Knowledge of Arabic and/or French is desirable.
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The first year will be probationary period.
ICARDA is an equal opportunity employer: applications from women are strongly encouraged.
Applicants should send their CV and a cover letter including names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon no later than July 6th 2018 at 18.00 CET. The deadline has been extended. If you have already applied, you don’t need to resend your application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.