AN EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION COMMITTED TO HAVE A HEALTHY, INCLUSIVE AND RESILIENT WORLD THROUGH ROOT AND TUBER SYSTEMS.
We have been retained by the International Potato Center (https://cipotato.org/) to fill the Country Manager in Mozambique Position. Currently, we are contacting country-level managers to help us locate a person who is qualified and ready for this position.
The International Potato Center (CIP) was founded in 1971 as a research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. It delivers innovative science-based solutions to enhance access to affordable nutritious food, foster inclusive sustainable business, and employment growth, and drive the climate resilience of root and tuber agri-food systems. Headquartered in Lima, Peru, CIP has a research presence in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
CIP is a CGIAR research center, a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is carried out by 15 CGIAR centers in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations, and the private sector.
Country Manager – Mozambique
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic Country Manager to have oversight of the project activities at the country level to guarantee the delivery of donor commitments.
This position will be based in Mozambique and will report to the Regional Director for Africa. The Country Manager will be engaged primarily in the implementation of project-related research activities in the region. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the design and delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising, security, and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team.
Strategic Planning & Management
- Working closing with the Regional Director and regional team to develop a strategic direction and plan for the country program.
- Working closely with project Principal Investigators (PIs) and Global Program Leaders to coordinate integration and implementation of in-country projects, aligned with the strategic country plan.
- Ensure that structures and systems follow CIP standards and that they support program delivery and promote management coordination and efficiency throughout the country.
Key Partner & Donor Relations
- Develop CIP as a partner of choice for major local and international donors.
- Develop and maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities, country plans, and planned funding initiatives.
- Maintain and expand participation with key donors, host government, local stakeholders and relevant policy.
- Play the role of institutional representation at country level with donors, partners, regional fora and networks, programmatic meetings/institutions, CGIAR regional meetings, to support projects.
Fundraising and Budget Management
- Ensure submission of appropriate, timely high-quality proposals and lead required donor negotiations.
- Provide timely and effective oversight of the financial position of the country program including identification and implementation of required changes to match funding levels.
- Maintain effective and coordinated budget monitoring processes for grant funds.
Security & Operations Management
- In coordination with the Risk & Security Unit ensure that the security management plan for the country program is updated and adherence by all staff to CIP security protocols and procedures.
- Maintain a safe & healthy work environment by establishing, following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
Staff Management, Professional Development, and Team Building
- Create a work atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees and ensuring that all staff members are effectively using the performance planning and management system.
- Contribute to project team-building efforts and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
We are looking for goal-oriented and creative team players with MSc degree in Project Management or MBA (Ph.D. in a related field is a plus) and a minimum of 8 years of professional experience at a senior operating role in a global research organization or business enterprises in multiple countries. He or she must have demonstrated project management, financial reporting, management experience and success in working within inter-disciplinary teams and partnerships for research implementation. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Portuguese are required.
Candidates should also possess:
- Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within the team and across partner organizations.
- Experience working in developing country context is required; specific experience in Africa is an advantage.
- Strong publication records consistent with years of experience;
- Proactive, innovative and creative attitudes;
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in resource-poor, rural areas.
This is an internationally recruited position for which CIP offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with generous compensation package commensurate with experience. The successful candidate will be awarded a three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer: applications from qualified women are strongly encouraged.
Applicants should send their an up-to-date CV and a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, and skills with copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: email@example.com no later than 6th of September. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘Application for the post of ‘Country Manager – Mozambique’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.