Corporate Services Director
EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A CGIAR CENTER’S SENIOR MANAGEMENT POSITION FOCUSED ON MAKING FARMING AND AGRIBUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IN DRYLANDS
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in the drylands of Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor.
ICRISAT (www.icrisat.org ) and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana State, in India, with two regional hubs (Nairobi, Kenya and Bamako, Mali) and country offices in Niger, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Ethiopia, and Mozambique.
ICRISAT conducts research on five highly nutritious drought-tolerant crops: chickpea, pigeon pea, pearl millet, sorghum, and groundnut.
ICRISAT envisions prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics by reducing poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics through partnership-based international agricultural research for development that embodies Science with a Human Face.
Corporate Services Director
The Corporate Services Director (CSD) is a senior position in the Management Group (MG) of the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) who will be responsible for the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the corporate service divisions of the center. He / She will report to the Director-General (DG) and will work closely with the MG and other stakeholders to provide overall direction to the Finance, Human Resources (HR), Administration, and Operations within the Institute. In addition, he / she will oversee the corporate service teams in the provision of proactive results-oriented services, and will contribute to center-level initiatives based on ICRISAT’s strategy. The role will be located in Hyderabad, India, but the selected candidate will be required to make periodic visits to ICRISAT’s regional offices in Africa.
- Develop financial plans and advising the senior management and Board of Governors on the institution’s financial strategy and management, including the mitigation of financial risks
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls, manage ICRISAT’s investments and foreign exchange risks in line with the Board approved policy
- Develop and implement an HR strategy, covering policies, staff resourcing, compensation, organizational development, and training
- Work closely with the DG on the development of the CGIAR system on aspects related to governance, fund and research programs, and contribute to the development of strategies/plans as required; manage the operations of corporate service teams (HR, Finance, Administration) by clarifying roles and objectives, organize structures, design jobs, coach and mentore unit managers, and manage their individual performance
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, represent the Institute at various CGIAR Consortium meetings, contribute to the development of system-wide policies and guidance, and provide advice on its impact on the Institute
- Ensure there is compliance with the financial and administrative requirements of the CGIAR Research Program on Grain Legumes and Dryland Systems (GLDC), as the lead center for this program
- Identify and make recommendations regarding opportunities for improvement in the Institute’s administrative operations and processes, and undertaking new initiatives as agreed
- Oversee the Institute’s risk assessment framework and risk management policies in the areas of Finance, HR, Administration, and Operations and coordinate regular risk assessments, as resource person for the Risk Management Team (RMT)
- Advise the DG on policy related to finance, budgets, HR management, and general administration of the Institute and its physical facilities
- Review existing policies and develop new policies for corporate service divisions
- Represent the DG based on delegated authority, as and when needed
We are looking for candidates with an advanced degree in a field related to finance/accounting (Certified Public Accountant or Chartered Accountant) and/or business administration with at least 15 years of proven expertise in managing corporate service functions, preferably in an international organization both in developing and emerging economies. Qualification in HR and/or strong work experience in managing HR functions are essential with a strong focus on continuous improvement and learning and committed to the development of staff. Candidates should also possess:
- Superior personal organization and priority setting skills
- High integrity and ability to exercise sound judgment
- Skills in information technology, including system development and implementation of corporate service applications
- Ability to effectively lead and inspire others within a participatory framework and a multicultural work environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and service orientation
- Tact, diplomacy, and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues
ICRISAT offers competitive terms of employment. ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer: applications from women are strongly encouraged.
Applicants should send their CV and a cover letter including names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: email@example.com no later than February 2, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.