OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY A CRITICAL ROLE IN AN INTERNATIONAL GLOBAL AGRICULTURAL
RESEARCH ORGANIZATION AS HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in the drylands of Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor.
ICRISAT (www.icrisat.org) and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana State, in India, with two regional hubs (Nairobi, Kenya and Bamako, Mali) and country offices in Niger, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Ethiopia, and Mozambique.
ICRISAT conducts research on five highly nutritious drought-tolerant crops: chickpea, pigeon pea, pearl millet, sorghum, and groundnut.
ICRISAT envisions prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics by reducing poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics through partnership-based international agricultural research for development that embodies Science with a Human Face.
The position is based in ICRISAT’s Headquarters, Patancheru, Hyderabad, India, and reports to the Director-General.
Director of Human Resources
The successful candidate should have relevant experience in developing and implementing a solid HR strategy to support ICRISAT in building an agile and forward-looking organization. He or she should have the capacity to develop and oversee performance management processes to support a high-performing culture at an individual and organizational level. He or she should also develop and implement an effective reward and recognition strategy to support the strategic objectives of the organization and to motivate staff. The Director of Human Resources will also oversee the implementation of human resources management at all ICRISAT locations to ensure that the design and application of the approved personnel policies are consistent with the needs and expectations of staff, as well as the local values, practices, and regulations. The new director is expected to advise and guide Regional Directors, Country Heads, and other Unit Heads on complex and sensitive organizational and people issues to enable senior management to take appropriate action. Other important HR functions include negotiating and managing the terms of outsourced services to ensure value for money and adherence to standards, managing the HR team to deliver quality and customer-focused services, and developing effective working relationships with Staff Council and other staff representatives to ensure harmonious employment relations. Lastly, he or she will serve on the executive management team and other committees if necessary.
The ideal candidate will:
- Accept responsibility for the HR requirements and demands of ICRISAT staff and associates based in Asia, Africa and globally.
- Lead HR practices to provide an employee-oriented, high-performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality deliverables, productivity and standards, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership on the development and deployment of appropriate HR policies across the organization to foster inclusion, equality, and diversity.
- Assess and update the current and future policy requirements to support strategic aims of the organization.
- Monitor changes in employment legislation in countries where ICRISAT staff are hosted.
- Provide direction on staff engagement so that ICRISAT can attract and retain culturally and gender diverse talent and rank high as a preferred place to work.
- Ensure ICRISAT adheres to high standards in respect for cultural and gender diversity.
- Ensure ICRISAT staff are safe and covered by contemporary occupational health and safety guidelines and policies.
We are looking for high caliber candidates with an advanced degree in Human Resources Management preferably from top-level institutions and possess work experience of at least 15 years in HR of which 6 years is preferably at a senior management level and the most recent role at a strategic level. Candidates should also possess:
- Proven capability to manage HR operations in a large multi-cultural organization, including all aspects of management: managing budgets and staff, building and managing partnerships, and leading a diverse team.
- Experience in developing and enacting policy where multiple stakeholders, including internal and external parties, are involved in achieving outcomes.
- Experience in addressing governance, institutional and staffing aspects of an organization.
- Demonstrated expertise in written and oral communications and public awareness activities.
- Demonstrated championing the critical areas of gender, youth, nutrition, knowledge sharing, and innovation.
- Experience in managing HR functions in research and/or agricultural organizations across multiple locations and proficiency in the French language is highly preferred, but not required.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with a competitive salary and benefits package payable in US Dollars. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability.
ICRISAT offers competitive terms of employment. ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer: applications from women are strongly encouraged.
Applicants should send their CV and a cover letter including names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at email@example.com no later than April 1, 2018, 18.00 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.