AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A CGIAR CROSS-COMMODITY PLATFORM THAT AIMS TO MODERNIZE BREEDING PROGRAMS, TARGETING THE DEVELOPING WORLD FOR GREATER IMPACT ON FOOD AND NUTRITION SECURITY, CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION, AND DEVELOPMENT
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. By providing important outcomes to under-resourced peoples, the CGIAR centers help realize the founding mission of the CGIAR system – they target low-and-middle-income countries for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The Platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy), and is led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org).
Quality Health Safety Environment (HSE) System Lead
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) is recruiting a HSE / Quality system leader to help developing world breeders achieve higher rates of genetic gain and extract maximum value from new and proven technologies.
The EiB HSE / Quality system lead will coordinate the development of CGIAR / EiB quality management system with the ultimate goal to support CGIAR Breeding programs and national agriculture research system (NARS) to harmonize standard operation procedures (SOPs). He/she will also provide support to deploy the health and safety culture.
The successful candidate will be a HSE / Quality system lead with strong communication skills, capable of defining and implementing the short, mid and long term CGIAR quality system strategy for EiB breeding programs partners.
The EiB HSE / Quality system lead will need to work close with breeding programs’ operation leaders to define implementation plans, and support them during implementation phase. He/she will need to review SOPs and improve them when necessary. The candidate should not only have capacity to organize a structure, but also be open to spending significant time reading and reviewing protocols.
EiB is headquartered at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), with access to state-of-the art facilities at one of the largest CGIAR centers and well-connected with among the 14 sister centers, all known for their high impact on agriculture in developing countries. EiB draws from innovations in CGIAR centers, advanced research institutes and the private sector, providing access to cutting-edge tools, services and best practices, application-oriented training and practical advice.
The position will be based at one of the CGIAR’s global hubs and will involve significant international travel. He/she will report to EiB Breeding Operation and Phenotyping module leader.
The EiB HSE/Quality system lead will:
- Develop EiB Quality management system strategy for Breeding Program Partners
- Develop the EIB Quality management system implementation roadmap.
- Coordinating with CGIAR breeding operation leaders the prioritization and implementation plan to guarantee that all SOPs will be adopted.
- Develop the system to harmonize SOPs across CGIAR breeding programs.
- Identify missing SOPs and define the plan to fill the gap.
- Coordinate with Risk Management Units the promotion of HSE culture.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attributes:
- Bachelor in agronomy or related field with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in Quality and HSE Management.
- Proven experience in implementing or managing quality management systems.
- Relevant global experience in agriculture sector.
- MBA will be viewed favorably.
- Project management skills will be viewed favorably.
- Good reporting and communication skills (in English).
- A team player with strong interpersonal communication skills, able to work in a multicultural environment with leadership skills.
- A great opportunity for technical and professional development by teaming up with a wide range of experts from CGIAR, NARS and private industry.
- Competitive compensation comparable to private industry, including attractive benefits and excellent career opportunities in an international organization.
- World-class medical insurance coverage (including dependents), among other benefits.
- A friendly, humble environment full of people passionate for what they do and interested in helping people around the world.
EiB seeks candidates who embrace diversity in the broadest sense. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. CGIAR has a deep and profound commitment to diversity both as an end in itself but, also as a valuable means for eliminating health disparities. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names, and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
The application should be addressed to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23th of February at 18:00 CET. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘application for the post of ‘Quality Health Safety Environment (HSE) System Lead’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for