AN OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME PART OF A GROWING ORGANIZATION THAT AIMS TO MAKE AN AMBITIOUS CONTRIBUTION TO COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their people.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions that reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has approved 190 projects and has committed USD 10.0 billion in climate finance. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries to identify their needs, in particular, those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Its talented staff makes unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Head of Internal Audit is responsible for determining whether the design and implementation of the Fund’s risk management, controls, and governance processes provide reasonable assurance as to whether: resources are used effectively and economically; the Board and senior management are provided with accurate and reliable financial and operational information; the Fund’s assets and reputation are safeguarded; Fund decisions, policies, and guidelines are complied with; and the Fund’s programmes, plans, and business objectives are being or are likely to be achieved.
In particular, s/he provides assurance to the Executive Director as to the efficiency, effectiveness, and fiduciary issues for which the Executive Director is responsible and advises the Executive Director and Board on emerging issues and opportunities for improvement in respect of efficiency, effectiveness, and fiduciary issues. In addition, s/he is responsible for managing the Fund’s internal audit activities appropriately and ensures that the Fund’s internal audit activities comply with relevant technical standards (including adhering to the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) and other standards of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)) and meet the strategic needs of the Fund.
Duties and Responsibilities (Functional statements defining the responsibilities and objectives):
- Lead the design and execution of internal audit support to the Fund, thereby ensuring that the Executive Director gains regular and timely assurance as to the efficiency, effectiveness, and fiduciary issues for which s/he is responsible.
- Monitor and assess external developments that could affect the services provided by internal audit and promote their application as appropriate in the GCF.
- Advise and explain to GCF senior management and Board about the performance of the audit and advisory engagements and the implications of their results; work with GCF management to develop practical action plans that address issues identified.
- Develop and maintain engagement with technical counterparts outside GCF (e.g. UN agencies, MDBs, IIA, etc.) and with other units providing assurance in the GCF (independent units, ORMC, OGC, DSS, etc.) in order to ensure that assurance in the GCF is effective and efficient.
Delivery: Define Project Cycle
- Establish and implement standards for audit and advisory engagement, ensuring that they comply with the IPPF and other IIA standards and meet the strategic needs of the Fund.
- Identify risks and issues as they emerge and adapt a multi-year internal audit work plan to ensure that they are addressed.
The successful candidate will have the following profile:
Required experience and qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Risk Management, Economics, or a related field. A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field of study with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the master’s degree requirement.
- Professional accreditations (CIA, CPA, CA, CISA, CFE) are a distinct advantage.
- At least 13 years of progressively responsible experience in audit management and accountancy experience, with demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrated experience with prioritizing multiple assignments, meeting tight deadlines, and willingness to be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to apply sound judgment and strategic thinking to complex matters as they relate to the GCF.
- Leadership experience and mentoring of professional and support staff.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability and personality to work collaboratively, accept responsibility, and motivate colleagues.
- Sensitivity to political, and respect for cultural, factors.
- Previous experience in an international organization is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in internal audit practices and standards and ability to design and implement audit strategies and risk-based audit plans.
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English are essential for this position; knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV and a one-page cover letter, including copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, September 18th at 11:59 KST. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘application for the post of ‘THE GREEN CLIMATE FUND_HEAD OF INTERNAL AUDIT (IS6)’
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The deadline is extended until December 31, 2022 (11:59 KST).
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED. CANDIDATES WHO PREVIOUSLY APPLIED FOR THE POSITION DO NOT NEED TO SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION.