AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A CGIAR CENTER FOCUSED ON DELIVERING INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT IN NON-TROPICAL DRY AREAS OF THE DEVELOPING WORLD
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. ICARDA provides innovative science-based solutions to improve the livelihoods and resilience of resource-poor in the non-tropical dry areas. The Center does this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas.
ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
For more information: www.icarda.org.
Deputy Director General – Research
ICARDA is in the process of implementing an exciting program of organizational change in the context of One CGIAR where its research teams and country/regional programs will play a renewed role in Research for Development in the Drylands of Africa and Asia. In this context, ICARDA is looking for a dynamic and inspiring research leader who will play a critical contribution in the new course of organizational growth. She or he will have exceptional capacity to motivate, manage and lead teams of different disciplines and multiple cultures in order to deliver high-quality research outputs and development outcomes. Guided by ICARDA’s renewed 2030 Research Strategy and CGIAR R4D strategy, the Deputy Director-General for Research (DDG-R) will provide scientific and managerial leadership in setting priorities, planning, implementing, and monitoring a cohesive research agenda aligned with the organization’s strategic direction and results framework.
Working closely with the Director General, the Research Teams leaders, the Country Managers and the members of the Senior Management Team, the Deputy Director-General for Research will have the following key responsibilities:
- Provide scientific and management leadership in planning, implementing, and monitoring a cohesive research for development agenda aligned with the organization’s strategic direction and results framework.
- Establish research priorities and ensure coordination and maximum synergies across ICARDA’s research teams and country programs, in collaboration with CGIAR Science Groups and Initiatives.
- Ensure Excellence in Science, develop relevant performance indicators and report on related progress and achievements.
- Develop and manage ICARDA’s overall research-for-development budget in collaboration with research team leaders, research platform leaders, country managers and the Director of Finance.
- Effectively engage with the CGIAR Science Groups and Initiatives leaders to build complementarity and synergistic approaches with the portfolio of bilateral projects of ICARDA.
- Advocate and advance ICARDA’s and the CGIAR research agenda and overall positioning with key stakeholders, donor partners, and in international meetings and fora.
- Develop processes and tools to stimulate innovative scientific thinking amongst scientists and to ensure excellence in science, and build the capacity to develop and submit high-quality research proposals.
- Identify opportunities for new research initiatives and play a key role in resource mobilization efforts, in collaboration with the Partnerships and Grants team leader, from traditional and non-traditional sources, including the development of strong partnerships with NGOs and the private sector.
- Lead, in collaboration with the MEL team leader, the further development of an effective monitoring and evaluation system to ensure that ICARDA meets its research for development targets and, ultimately, impact.
- Lead, in collaboration, with the Capacity Development team leader, the strategy of ICARDA in terms of training and capacity development in the countries and organizations its serves.
- Lead, in collaboration with the Communications team leader, the strategy of ICARDA in terms of communication.
- Nurture a culture of teamwork, empowerment, collaboration, and performance for results.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, the DDG-R will assist the Director General with the effective management of the Center.
Education, qualifications, and experience
The successful candidate will have most or all the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- PhD in a discipline of agricultural, natural or social sciences relevant for ICARDA’s research portfolio.
- At least 15 years’ experience in research and research management, with a track record of effectively leading multidisciplinary research programs, including in developing countries.
- An established reputation and strong credibility as a leading scientist in a discipline of relevance for ICARDA, demonstrated by a track record of achievements, high-level publications or patents;
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the critical role of agricultural research in addressing the global development challenges of poverty, food and nutrition security, climate change and environmental degradation, with particular focus on non-tropical dry areas.
- Proven capacity to lead and manage across the entire Research-for-Development continuum, with in-depth knowledge of designing research programs with clear impact pathway.
- Experience in working in partnership with research institutions in developing countries.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build, lead and manage diverse teams of talented scientists from different disciplines and cultures.
- Proven record in building partnerships for research and lead role in resources mobilization at scale for research delivery is essential.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including gender and cultural sensitivity, to build effective working relationships within and outside the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Knowledge of Arabic or French
- Knowledge of the CGIAR
- Personal integrity and credibility
- Entrepreneurial flair and strategic thinking
- High levels of energy and strategic thinking
- Ability to inspire and enthuse others
- Ability to nurture and facilitate innovation and teamwork in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning, and commitment to staff development.
- Belief and commitment to the mission, vision and work of ICARDA
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively.
Terms of appointment, salary, and benefits
This is an internationally recruited senior position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package, including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The successful candidate will be offered an initial renewable contract of 3 years. Confirmation of the contract is subject to a probationary period of one year.
Location: The position is based in Cairo, Egypt.
Reports to: Director General
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV and a one-page cover letter, including copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 24, 2024 18:00 CET. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘application for the post of ICARDA _ DEPUTY DIRECTOR GENERAL – RESEARCH.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.