Associate Director Food Security
AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO IMPROVE SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION, FOOD SECURITY AND NUTRITION IN THE DEVELOPING WORLD AS AN ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR
The International Development Research Centre or IDRC (https://www.idrc.ca/) is a public corporation created by the Parliament of Canada in 1970, to help developing countries use science and technology to find practical, long-term solutions to the social, economic, and environmental problems they face. Support is directed towards developing an indigenous research capacity to sustain policies and technologies that developing countries need to build healthier, more equitable, and more prosperous societies.
Associate Director – Food Security
As Associate Director of Food Security in the Agriculture and Environment Program Area, your main responsibility is to support the program’s innovation for more efficient and sustainable agricultural production to enhance food security, income and nutrition, which benefit small-scale farmers (particularly women). The role also focuses on new vaccines for improved livestock health. The program addresses opportunities and barriers to delivering solutions for large scale impact.
The candidate will be responsible for programming the Agriculture and Food Security and Livestock Health, which is comprised of over 20 staff in its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada and its regional offices. He or she will also have overall responsibility for more than $70 million programming on average, including major multi- funder initiatives with several donors.
We are looking for a recognized expert and thought-leader in topics such as agricultural productivity, nutrition and food security, for the world’s poor farmers in a context of global change and someone with deep understanding of the field and the networks. The appointed Associate Director is expected to possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills in addition to having strong competencies in strategic agility, management, expertise engagement and leadership.
This position requires 10 years of relevant experience in agriculture, nutrition or food security research and preferably from a developing country context which includes:
- PhD or Master’s (with significant experience) degree with a record in applied research and in publication relevant to international development, agriculture and food security in developing regions
- Experience in assessing capacity development needs and strengthening capacities through mentoring, supervision, and brokering expert support
- Experience in building, maintaining, developing and implementing strategic programs and strategies in international development, research or other relevant context
- Experience in leading and managing multidisciplinary, international teams with diverse backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to communicate strategically and effectively with a wide range of audiences including executives, academia, policy actors and practitioners; effectively communicating results and impacts of research to these audiences
- Strong networks of key actors in developing regions and outside Canada who are relevant to agriculture and food security research and research uptake
- Understands knowledge translation, research uptake and policy influence approaches and trends appropriate to international agriculture and food security research for development
- English and French language skills at an intermediate level are required for this position.
Please send your CV and cover letter to Ms. Aurée de Carbon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date : Monday 26th of August.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.