OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME PART OF A GROWING ORGANIZATION WHO AIMS TO MAKE AN AMBITIOUS CONTRIBUTION TO COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE AS AN ECOSYSTEMS MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
The Green Climate Fund or GCF (“The Fund”) aims to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change. The fund will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
The Division of Mitigation and Adaptation is responsible for a range of analytical and operational tasks related to policy, guideline and pipeline development. It is also responsible in the update and maintenance of the project pipeline database system and in the Portfolio Management system development.
To realize the Fund’s unprecedented mission, GCF is expanding its workforce. It is seeking an Ecosystems Management Specialist who will be part of a growing organization that offers exciting challenges and responsibilities.
Ecosystems Management Specialist – Division of Mitigation & Adaptation
The Ecosystems Management Specialist will provide technical expertise, support the development of a pipeline of investments within the results areas of ecosystems and ecosystem services as well as forest and land use and support administration of a portfolio of investments. S/he will work closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other internal/external stakeholders by providing substantive guidance on methodological matters and technical inputs to proposed investments and activities. S/he will report to the Director of Mitigation & Adaptation. The duties and responsibilities are highlighted below:
- Develop and manage a pipeline of projects/programmes on ecosystems and ecosystem services management as well as forestry and land use;
- Lead the review and assessment of projects/programmes funding proposals and concept notes as well as other applications to the Fund, by providing high-quality inputs and assuring compliance with the GCF policies and procedures;
- Monitor of the relevant portfolio and providing support to the implementation of the projects/programmes to ensure their performance is in line with intended results;
- Coordinate closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other divisions of the Secretariat;
- Develop relevant policy documents, operational guidelines, procedures, document templates, reports, tools and other products;
- Strengthen the Fund’s knowledge management activities by providing technical expertise in the thematic area.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of operations information systems;
- Manage external consultants, monitoring performance, reviewing outputs and recommending and taking corrective actions when needed;
- Provide thought and action to promote the GCF investments that shift the paradigm low-emission and climate resilient development.
We are looking for a highly competent individual with a minimum of 11 years of relevant experience in project origination, development, appraisal, management and project finance/investment. The individual should have a Master’s degree in ecosystem ecology, geography, environmental science, forestry, environmental, economics; natural resources management or other relevant fields. Fluency in English is essential for this position while knowledge of another United Nations language would be an advantage. Other relevant skills needed include:
- Relevant experience in climate finance operations in ecosystems and land use sector.
- Experience in working with international agencies, donors and multilateral agencies in more than one of these roles would be an asset;
- Substantive expertise in one or more of the following areas: ecosystems management, ecosystem services including payments for ecosystem services, ecosystems-based adaptation, climate change adaptation of various ecosystem types (i.e. floodplain and terrestrial, coastal and marine, desert and dryland, forests, etc.). Knowledge of forest ecosystems and REDD+.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of climate change and climate variability in relation to natural ecosystems as well as keep abreast of ongoing discussions and decisions under the
- Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Experience in working with national governments and agencies on climate change will be a plus;
- Experience in working in developing countries, with a particular focus on LDCs, SIDs and Africa;
- Ability to work independently, and as part of multiple teams in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders, maintaining good working relationships;
- Experience in establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different backgrounds and cultures
- Good teamwork, proactive and can-do attitude, and ability to act as a team leader when required;
- Strong planning and organizing skills;
- Exceptional client orientation and communication skills
Please send your CV and cover letter to Ms. Aurée de Carbon at email@example.com
Closing date: Friday 23rd of December.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Job Category||Senior Specialist|