AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO LEAD THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION GOALS AND OBJECTIVES TO ENHANCE THE BANK’S VISIBILITY STRATEGICALLY AND CREATIVELY
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely, energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a senior management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF. The President supervises several Departments and Units including the Office of the President (PRST); Independent Development Evaluation Department (IDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Security Unit (PSEC); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary-General and General Secretariat (PSEG).
The Department of Communication and External Relations (PCER) develops and implements all aspects of the African Development Bank’s internal and external communication strategy. It promotes, projects, and protects the Bank’s institutional reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution and a global thought leader by showcasing institutional accomplishments, projects, beneficiary impact, and the Bank’s critical role in Africa’s economic and social development. The team creatively develops relevant information, editorial and creative content for the Bank’s website and intranet, digital media, social media, multimedia, branding, media releases, publications, and events; provides senior management with advisories on reputational issues, and strategically provides all internal and external stakeholders with an understanding of how the Bank is Making a Difference.
The Editorial and Media Relations Division supports and implements the department’s internal and external communication goals and objectives by overseeing, developing, planning, preparing, and supporting institutional communication and information. This includes editorial content for digital and print publications, media advisories and releases, the Bank’s website and Intranet, social media, and stakeholder engagement teams. The Division strategically provides internal and external stakeholders with timely and relevant information and content, and an understanding of the Bank’s role, activities, and impact. The overall goal of the Editorial and Media Relations Division is to strategically and creatively enhance the Bank’s visibility.
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Director of Communication and External Relations (PCER) and in close collaboration with other Division Managers, the Editorial and Media Relations Manager guides actively leads and has responsibility for media relations, communication releases for staff, and the media, the day-to-day development, planning and distribution of relevant editorial content across multimedia and communication platforms, active contribution for social media, stakeholder engagement activities and effective branding for the Bank.
The key functions are:
Manage Editorial Content and Media Relations
- Oversee day-to-day development and production of timely, relevant, and engaging editorial content and information related to the Bank’s activities, announcements, projects/development impact, and the Bank’s knowledge and business events.
- Support the development and publication of editorial content for internal and external communication platforms including the Bank’s website, Intranet, digital screens, social media, and digital and print publications.
- The incumbent serves as the resident senior editor responsible for ensuring the accuracy and quality of all departmental editorial content.
- Develop strategic relationships with domestic, regional, and global media influencers.
- Monitor and analyze media coverage of the Bank’s activities and initiatives, promptly advising the Communication and External Relations Director on emerging media issues or potential risks and suggesting appropriate responses.
- Organize relevant media engagement and management training for senior management.
- Develop regular and innovative pitches to position the Bank in top-tier media through articles, interviews, Op-Eds, feature stories, visits, and projects.
Manage Editorial and Media Relations team
- Manage and motivate staff and teams in order to provide efficient and high-quality services
- Set realistic staff and individual performance goals.
- Provide project updates, and logistical recommendations, and manage client relationships.
- Work closely and collaboratively on a day-to-day basis with other Divisional Managers and staff to promote teamwork and achieve departmental goals and objectives.
- Promote and facilitate relationships with complexes, departments, country, and regional offices.
- Maintain high standards of professional integrity and respect in a multi-cultural environment.
- Provide Director of Communication with executive-level weekly and monthly reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Support and implement internal and external communication strategies
- Work closely and collaboratively on a day-to-day basis with the Director of Communication, other Division Managers, and staff to achieve communication effectiveness, a collaborative team spirit, and positive bank-wide client relationships.
- Actively develop editorial content for website, intranet, social media, and mobile apps.
- Actively support website, Intranet, and social media content providers to ensure editorial accuracy and high standards of communication excellence.
- Oversee the production and development of relevant digital and print publications, with support from other PCER Divisional Managers.
- Work closely with complexes and departments including but not limited to Cabinet, SVP, HR, Corporate IT Services (CHIS), and regional and country offices to ensure editorial accuracy and high standards of communication.
- Support and implement relevant Bank-wide internal and external communication strategies that meet and align with organizational objectives and needs. Measure the effectiveness of internal and external communication messages and channels and provide recommendations to review and amend strategies as appropriate8. Provide guidance to internal clients and help translate ideas into effective messages.
- Liaise with the Bank’s other departments to ensure there is consistency and sharing of best practices and avoid duplication of effort.
- Oversee internal communication responses to crisis situations, advising and working with relevant stakeholders to ensure the situation is effectively managed.
Promote a robust, dynamic, informed, and responsible press and media in Africa
- Support the development of a robust, dynamic, responsible, and informed press and media in Africa.
- Organize forums, workshops, policy dialogues, and capacity-building sessions to promote regional economic and social development, public interest in, and an understanding of the Bank’s policies, programs, projects, and impact.
- Facilitate media access to public information
Promote regional and global media participation in key bank events.
- Ensuring branding is aligned with the Bank’s strategy and effectively promotes the Bank’s profile.
The position is located in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
The successful candidate will have the following profile:
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of proven and relevant stakeholder engagement, communication, and media experience (4 years of which must have been in a managerial position) with a corporate, non-profit or multilateral development organization, with demonstrated performance excellence, creativity, and stability; as well as a sustained commitment in previous position(s).
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills; ability to provide clear/concise presentations in English and French.
- A portfolio showcasing professional writing competence with excellent digital production and social media skills.
- Strong management skills with the ability to inspire and drive change.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective planning and organization skills to multitask and deliver to tight deadlines.
- Competence in the use of media monitoring software and standard Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exceptional attention to detail with a track record of results delivery, innovation, and excellence.
- Excellent client orientation that anticipates needs and ensures the best possible service and practice.
- Strong editorial judgment and decision-making based upon a clear understanding of the Bank’s strategy and communication objectives.
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality, professional integrity, and respect in a multicultural environment.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Communication, Broadcasting, Journalism, Public Relations, Development Studies, Business, or a related field.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV and a one-page cover letter, including copies of the highest diploma/degree, training certificates related to the position, and names and email addresses of 3 professional referees to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: email@example.com no later than May 6th, 11:59 pm GMT. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘application for the post of ‘AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK _ DIVISION MANAGER – EDITORIAL AND MEDIA RELATIONS.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.